Matáv Hungarian Telecommunications Company Ltd. was established on December 31, 1991. Matáv’s service area covered about 70% of the territory of Hungary and 72% of the population included 36 primary areas where the company provides local telephone service. In year 2000 Deutsche Telekom obtained majority ownership share in Matáv, 59.52%, the remaining 40.48% are held by the public, while the Golden Share is held by the Hungarian state. In 2001 Matáv became an international telecommunications group when the consortium led by Matáv acquired majority ownership in Macedonia’s national telecommunications company Makedonski Telekomunikacii (MakTel). From 2001 Matáv introduced tariff and service packages tailored to the requirements of residential and business customers and from 2002 introduced new reduced-price packages for internet users. Soon after this a new company structure was introduced in which operations were based on four business areas: residential services, business services, internet and mobile.
In March 2004 Matáv’s Board made a decision to change Westel’s name and join one of the world’s leading mobile brands, T-Mobile.
In December 2004 Magyar Telekom bid at the open tender invited for the acquisition of Telekom Montenegro, the Montenegrin telecommunications company; and it acquired 73% majority ownership of the company in March 2005. On May 6, 2005 the Matáv Group was renamed Magyar Telekom Group in the largest rebranding in Hungary so far introducing the T-Brand. The Magyar Telekom Group members, T-Com, T-Online, T-Mobile, T-Systems and T-Kábel jointly offer the full range of telecommunications for residential, SME and large corporate customers.
As of October 1, 2007. T-Online Hungary’s web and content services business area operate under the name [origo] Media and Communications as a Magyar Telekom Group member company.
From September 8, 2008, the brands T-Com, T-Online and T-Kábel will be replaced by the unified T-Home brand.